Saturday, March 23, 2013

Argo-Not

No, the chase-the-plane-to-the-end-of-the-runway scene didn't actually happen. But here is an interesting interview with someone who was there, all about the real story behind Argo.

Also, some folks weren't thrilled that "Tony Mendez" was played by an actor who wasn't Hispanic.

I understand these disagreements, and I was also entertained by the film, even as I knew a lot of what I was watching was ginned-up for the, er, movie version--a dilemma that kinda creates a meta-situation. (Heck, when I saw Frost/Nixon I was reminded that Nixon's "if the President does it, that means it is not illegal" moment was not half as dramatic in real life as Langella delivered the line in the movie.)

But then I shudder to think of how many people think they know history just from what they see in theaters or on television.

No comments: